Good friends are really important when it comes to your happiness, best friends are truly responsible for making our lives that extra bit better.
Research that looks into the benefits of friendship shows that better quality friendships make you feel more content. It is beneficial for you and your happiness to have a great friend that supports you.
Best friends are always up for fun experiences and new memories that you will cherish for a lifetime and they are the ones who are there for us when we need a shoulder to cry on.
Try to remember the worst time of your life, now try to remember that one person who was there for you when you needed them.
Yes, it could have been a parent or a sibling but you can’t deny that your best friend was also there for you.
That’s what best friends are for, they are uplifting supportive and understanding. Best friends provide constant support, they are our comforting confidant and our worst critic, in other words the family we choose.
Friends will come and go in your life, but you don’t need to focus on how long your friendship lasts, it is about that good friend that will love you no matter what.
Here is a list of things 5 important things best friends should do:
- Trust each other – You have to make sure that you can both trust each other, or if it’s a group of best friends that all of you can trust one another. It is easy to feel unimportant if your best friend has other friends you may feel left out, now this is where you must trust your best friend and realise that you are actually important to them. Furthermore, if your best friend tells you a secret you must make sure to not tell anyone.
- Don’t keep secrets – Best friends are usually open about what goes on in their life and what they hear about other people that aren’t close to them, however if you don’t want to speak about something, just don’t bring it up.
- Rough patches – Any friendship goes through rough patches, bear in mind something people want space and some time alone to think about things. A best friend will understand this and will give them space and time alone.
- Keep your word- As a best friend you should always keep your word, if you say you’ll do something for them, always do it.
- Be there for your best friend – If your best friend really needs something from you to be done or a favour, help them out. Think about how much you’d appreciate it if they were there for you when you needed them and give them the same respect in return
National Best Friend Day is on June 8, and it is extremely important to celebrate having people around you that make you feel happier and better about yourself.
Artefact asked went out to ask members of the public what they thought made a good best friend:
Feature Image: Beth Levin Via Flickr CC